Monday, July 26, 2010

Kennecott - Crazy Day

I was actually feeling decent last Thursday, so I ended up having a crazy day. Piano lessons and swim lessons in the morning, then I snagged my parents and we all took advantage of the free entrance and went to see the Bingham Canyon Mine. I mean, the world's largest open pit copper mine is in my backyard and we haven't seen it - so we went. (And we saw Jason's sister and her family there too.) It was crazy crowded, so we are planning a return trip.

I took a ridiculous amount of pictures because things were so interesting. I really loved all the old things and learning! I love a good history and geology lesson. Sara was a pain the whole time (I think due to some carsickness) but seemed to enjoy being outside. Laura dug all of it, but particularly the Olympic medals. Eliza enjoyed Grandpa and outside and was good as usual.
We also loved how much the whole experience messed with our perspective. Everything was just so huge that it was hard to comprehend, a little scary and totally bizarre. (In the huge picture, the little red truck is a normal truck and the dots across the way are the dump trucks with six of the huge wheels in the top picture.)
The drive was also quite fabulous - except for some strange brake noises. Grandpa told us stories of growing up there and his memories. We got amazing views of the valley, and even found a great sign showing that this really is where my Dad's family came from!
When we got home, and Jason got home, I cooked an amazing Chicken Divan from Sandra Lee's magazine! Then we sent Jason off to work on Deb and Joe's roof.
The girls and I stopped at one walmart to shop, but it was closed due to a power failure. Tried unsuccessfully to get the car washed while realizing that it wasn't just a dirty car - the brakes in the van were shot. We went to another walmart across town to get milk and school supplies. Then I bathed the girls and got them in bed just in time to hug Jason who got back from roofing. Phew - crazy and fun day! And a good thing that I got it all in, because the sicks hit really hard the next day and still haven't left!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to get to the mine sometime too. I am glad that you were able to do something fun before you got sick. I hope that you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete