Saturday, October 23, 2010

Witches Brew 2010 - Party, Recipes and Decor

This Witches Brew was a blast to plan. And a lot of fun to shop for. I love how the tables turned out with the prizes (beaded pumpkins) as centerpieces and all the orange, black and silver.
I had a great time filling the house with witches (Pickles here is a bit scary to the little girls, so they got to name her). I also was excited to use the haunted houses and a plethora of bats.

The food was, of course, my favorite part. My brews (or soups) served from cauldrons were a tomato basil and a butternut squash - recipes below. I served the soups in the most fantastic pumpkin bread bowls from Macey's. I also did a fall salad (apples, grapes, pumpkin seeds, craisins) served with homemade poppyseed dressing. My drink (other than water) was a pomegranate sprite that I make using THIS pomegranate mix that I find at Macey's and Walmart. Dessert was the previously mentioned cupcakes with Jason's version of Ben & Jerry's pumpkin ice cream.
The best part of the whole evening was seeing all my friends enjoying themselves. I was a bit nervous about bringing different groups together, but I think they are the most amazing women around and I suspected that they would therefore get along was correct! It was a grand night and I'm thinking about making it an annual tradition. What do you think?

Tomato Basil Soup - based upon this recipe from Sara Perkins
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
10 fresh basil leaves, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 tsp onion salt
garnish: shredded cheddar

In large saucepan, bring the tomatoes, broth and dried basil to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add fresh basil, onion salt, and sugar. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream and butter. Cook until butter is melted.

 Butternut Squash Soup - based on a recipe from the Sept. Oct. issue of Semi-Homemade Magazine
1 (2-pound) package chopped fresh butternut squash (bought from Costco)
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp dried thyme
2 1/2 C chicken broth
1 C whipping cream
2 Tbsp Marsala wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Garnish: crumbled cooked bacon

Microwave squash on High for 13 to 15 minutes, or until squash is fork-tender. In large soup pot, sauté onion and thyme in oil for 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion is soft. Stir in squash, broth, cream, wine, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Puree mixture with stick blender and serve with crumbled bacon.

2 comments:

  1. It absolutely needs to be an annual tradition. It's way too fun not to be and the hard part (decorations, etc.) are already done. Might as well start planning now... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a big hit! Thanks so much for including me. It was so fun to dress up again and be with you and everyone. You're an amazing hostess.

    ReplyDelete