Thursday, January 08, 2009

Why Didn't I Think of This Sooner?!

I've had a few epiphanies lately that have made my life as a WAHM much easier. I thought I'd share.

Clothing
Laura is skinny. Therefore, we buy adjustable waist pants and stretch those tabs to the limit. Unfortunately, this meant she was always fiddling with the length of elastic left on the inside of her pants. Finally, I realized I should loop the elastic so it didn't get in her way as shown below.
Before
After
Food
Did you know they sell pre-diced frozen onions? How about pre-sliced frozen bell peppers? I hate chopping onions, and fresh peppers are $$. With these, I can use only the amount I want and it makes prep time much less on many of my favorite dishes.
Also, I got really sick of getting Laura juice just because she couldn't reach the pitchers in the fridge. So, I got a different pitcher and put it where she can reach it. She loves the independence and I love less nagging! FYI: it is usually filled with Crystal Light.
Playtime
Sara is not a huge fan of playing in the snow. Unless she gets to play with the kitchen utensils while in the snow. My mom is awesome for thinking of kitchen in the snow. Muffin tins and cooking spoons are the favorites. Just make sure they are indestructible and dishwasher safe.
The laundry tubs from IKEA have been wonderful in keeping all the toys picked up, organized, and put away. Alas, I'm having trouble with books. I am looking for some help on this one. I have not found a good way to organize the girls' paperback books. They are just shoved on the shelf and it's difficult to find the one they want without sorting through ALL of them. Suggestions?
Cleaning
When I've accidentally put too much soap on my loofa in the shower, I take an extra second and use the loofa to wipe down the walls/bench.

We don't keep the girls' shoes in their closets. They are still small enough that they all live in shoe buckets by the door. This way, they take them off on their way inside and mates don't get lost.
I also have a fast way for me to clean the sinks and tubs around the house. I start them filling, put in some bleach and oxi-clean and fill to the top. I let them sit for a while, drain them and wipe them down.

8 comments:

  1. You are genius, woman! I am totally going to loop Jacob's pants!

    I love frozen onions and peppers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I love when you think of things and go "why haven't I been doing this the whole time!!" :) You are a super mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you already heard about our experience with Dan, but I blogged a little about it and thought it was a cool story.
    http://kaldvel.wordpress.com/2009/01/09/dan-breinholt/

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these are such good ideas! I am for sure going to start buying frozen onions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a clever girl....thanks for sharing...love the onions and
    I have used them often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looped Lilly's adjustables today! Wow, what a difference. I am glad there are smart Moms out there I can use good useful ideas from :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I'll have to look for the bell pepper- I hate dicing those!

    ReplyDelete