Wednesday, April 06, 2011

First Fry Fest

We own a deep fryer. We rarely use it. I hate the smell and the mess. So, we decided to make it a tradition and use it twice a year over General Conference weekend...we're calling it "Fry Fest."
I used my homemade bread recipe to make scones and we shared them with lots of family. I also discovered a wonderful local product to put on my scones - this honeybutter is so much better than the squeeze bottle! It was great to share a session of conference and brunch with family!
We had a real party with Jason's family on Conference Saturday. Things just worked out to get a lot of people together, so we threw together a super casual party. It was a great time.
Then we tried out one of my favorite foods that I have never made at home - shrimp tempura. Thanks to a batter mix, dipping sauce in a bottle, and Jason as an amazing fry cook, it was remarkably simple. We did the shrimp as well as zuchinni and sweet potatoes. It was the best tempura I have ever tasted. This will definitely make the next fry fest menu! Oh, and Laura thought it was the best stuff ever!

5 comments:

  1. What a fun tradition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish cooking was as easy for me as it seems for you! Sounds like fun. I LOVE scones! What a great tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing hostess!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so much fun and a great tradition. But I think we can only handle it every 6 months. That oil get so smelly so quick! So we'll enjoy it while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete