Thursday, January 30, 2014

Newbery-ness

We love books around here!  It borders on obsession.  This year I got to be part of the Utah Mock Newbery - thanks for the invite Danyelle.  It was an amazing morning to discuss books with an educated and passionate group of women.  You can read the organizer's summary in the comments (scroll down to DaNae) HERE.  The results were (since it's hard to read on my grainy phone photo) after only one vote: The Thing About Luck for the medalist, and Counting by 7s and If You Want to See a Whale for honors.
Then the morning that the awards were announced, the girls asked to get up early and watch them live right along with me.  We snuggled in my room and had a great time cheering.  The girls were so excited.  I sent them to school with some "Berry" treats and a press release of the awards to share with their classes.  I was thrilled that the Newbery winner is young enough that all the girls can follow along.  The excitement was so much that I'm now reading Flora and Ulysses aloud to everyone and we are laughing and enjoying ourselves greatly!
Hooray for Books!

3 comments:

  1. So fun! What a fun thing for your girls. I bet their class loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "Berry" treats! What a great idea to share the awards at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so fun to listen to part of the announcement and have company while getting ready for work! What a fun morning and the girls LOVED IT which is what matters most. Nice work, Mommy!

    ReplyDelete