Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas-y

Despite the facts that we are not completely settled in the house and we still have lots of little things left to finish, we have taken some time to make life Christmas-y. Something very important if you are 4! And it's fun for the rest of us too.

The biggest deal was that we put up the tree. I adore the tree. My parents have given me, and now my girls, an ornament each year. So, putting up the tree is always a fun walk down memory lane. The tree may be eclectic (I've made an attempt to tie it together with red balls) but we love it. And, Laura loved decorating it and really loved her ornaments. Sara likes laying under the tree, but doesn't get to do it often as she tends to unwrap the presents while there.

I also love that the tree makes us look a bit festive from the street. There was no way we had the time or guts (there's been lots of snow here ever since the day we moved in) to put up Jason's perfect Christmas lights.
I also made sure to get the mantel painted so we could enjoy having a fireplace for the first time in our marriage. I purchased the stocking holders and I just love having stockings hanging above the fireplace.
A big part of Christmas, for me, is food. So today Laura and I baked cookies. (Santa just can't have Oreos from a bag; those cookies must be homemade, imho.) Oh, how I love having double convection ovens. The cooking went very fast (45 minutes total for 8 dozen cookies) even with my little helper. Laura loved licking the beaters and wearing an apron. Sara loved getting her first tastes of cookie and I think she'd eat one for every meal if we let her.
Finally, Laura was thrilled to get out the kids nativity. We have talked about the Christmas story every day since it's been out. Sara loves that the nativity plays music and that she can put the "Little People" in her mouth.

3 comments:

  1. It is so great seeing you in your beautiful new home! This is one Christmas you will always remember!
    Enjoy!!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the kids nativity. Kids always want to play with the nativity set and now they can without getting into trouble. My Mom got one and it's a big hit with the gradkids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mantle and stocking hangers. And what a fun nativity. That's a good way to do it.

    ReplyDelete