Saturday, September 06, 2008

Roh-Day-Oh

Today was the craziness known as the Ward/Neighborhood Rodeo. Yes, our Ward (not Stake) put on an entire rodeo. The preparations began on Friday, when I made 60 mini pies for the pie eating contest. Fortunately it was just a scoop and smooth endeavor and I had help. Holy cow, the mousse from Brick Oven is delicious and rich. Though, I don't think I'd like it up my nose like the YW President's son.
Our day today began with Jason cooking the pancake breakfast at the crack of dawn. It was so busy and crazy that the boy ended up with pancake batter on his jeans. It was delicious though.
Then it was off to the parade. I was the emcee for the event and got together a lot of details about the participants which was fun. Laura was a missionary in the parade. A missionary is her Latter-day Hero; yay for my folks who have influenced her so much by their good example of missionary service. Also, yay that they came and watched the parade. Since almost the whole ward was in the parade, the viewers were a bit sparse and they were a great addition.
After the parade we enjoyed the "fair" section of the rodeo. We looked at crafts, ate cotton candy, snow cones and popcorn, watched races, and had a relaxing hour until it was time for the pie eating contest. Fortunately, the contest was a great success.
The best part of all was getting to ride on the horsey rides. The girls just ate it up. Even waiting for the horses made Sara super excited. Though she began the ride a little nervous, she got into it by the end. Fearful Laura surprised me and hopped right on!
We ended with the BBQ lunch where Laura held a snake from the pet parade around her neck. Sorry for the pic, only had my phone with me.
We did not choose to attend the mutton-busting, wild chicken chases and all other allergic activities in the late afternoon. (Stinking IC!) But, I can still hear the announcements from the field behind us where the Rodeo arena is set up. It was fun, crazy, and over the top! Only in Utah, baby!

3 comments:

  1. It was a ton of work, but a grand time. And the girls had a blast, which is really what matters most!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness....I cannot believe how much you do as a family! How do you ever fit it all in??? What a wonderful fun day...what an amazing ward activity. Another great job for Melinda...you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ward is Crazy!

    It looks like a lot of fun though! I bet those pies were tasty!

    ReplyDelete