Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Clean House

I have a thing. A majorly anal thing about having my house clean. The clean I mean is "company ready." I mean that it's not "open house" perfect, but also not "fine for my mom" clean either. The kids doors can be closed in a "company ready" house, but anyone can walk in for a glass of water or to use the bathroom without embarassment if you get my definition.

Because I have been super sick with my lupron shot, my house has not been nearly clean enough for my taste this past month. I had a horribly embarassing moment when my nephews came by without much notice and found my house an utter disaster. But, I also learned how comfortable I am with my mom, in-laws, and a couple of my best girlfriends to let them see my house in such a state.

Now, I am feeling better, and this week has been back to my cleaning schedule. Yep, I keep a schedule. After having kid #2, and moving into a house with double the square footage, to keep my house "company ready" I have had to develop a system. I have lost many brain cells while carrying my babies and my system has the ring of something you would teach a five-year-old...alas. Since I have had many requests (from friends moving into bigger homes or adding kids) for my system and schedule, here it is:

Monday - Menus and Mirrors (I shop and plan for my weekly menus this day and clean all the glass surfaces in the house)
Tuesday - Toilets, Tubs and Toys (I clean all the toilets, sinks, tubs/showers and disinfect one of my four drawers of toys by tossing them in a tub. I also deep clean one of my bathrooms each week and rotate through as I have 4 bathrooms)
Wednesday - Wood (I do all my dusting and wood polishing this day and I either clean one wood surface, like cabinets or table, with Murphy's or do a big dusting project, like silk plants or light fixtures, each week)
Thursday - Kitchen (I move my items on my counter, clean the appliances and scour the sink and one big project like pantry organizing or cleaning behind the refrigerator)
Friday - Floors: deep clean vacuuming and mopping of all floors (Yep, I don't do the floors the same time I do the other rooms I do them together on one day, and I sweep the porch this day too)
Saturday - I tackle big projects, outdoor projects or just hang out with the kids
Sunday - Bless the day of rest!
Daily - Wipe down counters and quickly clean sink after lunch and bedtime. Run the robot vacuum in 1 of 3 high traffic areas or do a quick once over with the shark. Pick up toys and all clutter after kids bedtime. Run through one load of laundry each day.

Despite looking daunting, my cleaning takes me less than an hour a day because of this system and my preferred cleaning supplies. It feels good to be clean again - Phew!

3 comments:

  1. I really admire your organizational skills and cleaning schedules and am proud of you for them. However, sick or not, your home is always beautiful, clean, warm and inviting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing! And the house always looks incredible even if you don't think it does. You are amazing at your job, keeping up with the house, and raising such amazing and wonderful girls. I don't know how you do it all! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do such a great job keeping up with home, husband and family and life! Don't forget to take care of Melinda!

    ReplyDelete