Sunday, December 14, 2008

YW - The Hardest and Best Calling

Okay, so I've never been the RS President and can't say definitively, but I think YW is the hardest and best calling in the entire world. I spend hours and hours each week preparing, meeting, chatting, praying and worrying for this calling. But, really, it is worth it!

Last week I got a note pinned to my door that the "Love Sub" was coming at 7:30 am this Saturday to let me know the 12 reasons I was loved (note that this was done on the first day of Christmas). Jason convinced me I should attend, so I braved the cold and went out to find this. A group of my YW picking up the leaders where we all listened to "Last Christmas I Gave You My Heart".
Then they took us all to one of girls' home (btw, her Mom is the Stake YW President and one of the most awesome ladies ever) where I proceeded to feel loved, spoiled, blessed and bawl my eyes out. The girls sat us down at a beautifully set table.
We laughed and were fed pancakes with the most delicious buttermilk syrup (tasted like caramel, and does anyone have a recipe for this sweet decadence?), yummy hot chocolate and juice.
Then the girls did the most amazing presentation to us of why they were grateful for all that we do for them. This, this is when the bawling began. They did the presentation with these adorable bags filled with kisses and telling us all these reasons why they loved us. Oh, and in case you were wondering if these girls really are too good to be true; they also told us that they were doing this as a value experience for the new value: Virtue. And, they came to their Moms with the idea and then their Moms supported them in implementing it. Yep, unbelieveably awesome! (Please, let me be a mom like this someday)
Then we listened to a CD of a retelling of the Nativity by a little girl (toddler age from a nearby town) that made me bawl even more. How I love these precious YW and their amazing spirits! I am so grateful the Lord called me and trusted me to work with these amazing spirits. I hope my girls can turn out like Mary, Christa and Melissa. Oh, and Pam (the YW President who was at her hubby's graduation in ID), you were sorely missed!

7 comments:

  1. What a great surprise! So happy you were pampered... no doubt, you desire it. I can imagine that YW is both hard and wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were made for this calling. It is blessing your life as well as the lives of your girls SOO much! Thank you for being so dedicated to them and to your calling and to the Lord. I LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! I saw the bishop on Sunday and he mentioned he missed me. Oh how I miss YW. And yet it is a relief to not spend so much time and energy on them - but you miss all the great rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What incredible girls and great examples of virtue! You should send a letter to the General Young Women leaders to tell them about this--they would love it! Your girls will turn out like this because you are like this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a compliment to you and the other leaders. I always knew that you are amazing. I am glad that the young women can see it too. You must be doing an AWESOME job to have the girls come up with this on their own. I miss being in Young Womens, but at least I get to go to camp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing and great! How wonderful for them to plan and execute! You are such a dear friend and superb leader and you completely deserve it. It brought tears to my eyes reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful group of girls to have come up with such a fun plan and they did such an amazing job in putting it all together!
    You deserve all the appreciation and love sent by those girls! You are an awesome leader and a great example! See how much the girls have learned already!

    ReplyDelete